On a walk last evening (April 2) I had a male and female Merlin on treetops
within about 200’ in the upper village of Trumansburg close to the conservatory
on McLallen St. The female was calling steadily. But sheesh, I just passed my
neighbor Marc Devokaitis who reported seeing copulatory behavior (if not the
act itself) this afternoon, up around Bradley St. where we live.
There has been a Fish Crow pair around the trees near the corner of Old Main
and Washington St. this past week. Lots of single calls. I’ve seen and heard
them in flight but haven’t before noticed any roost site fidelity, if indeed
that is what I am seeing. I don’t know enough of their habits to score it as a
“pair in suitable habitat” much as I would like to.
Jared Dawson
Trumansburg