Hi,

Today we watched an obviously ill goldfinch gradually get sicker and it just died a few minutes ago.  It seemed to keep up its appetite, and was intermittently active, but it was puffed up and became uncoordinated, walking like it was tipsy for a couple hours before it died.

Is there any reason anyone would want to test this bird?  I don't even know if these symptoms are consistent with avian flu, and goldfinches are not listed by USFW as having tested positive for avian flu so far, but it could be that it is because they are less likely to be found and submitted for testing.

Right now it is double-bagged and next to our garbage can, where it will go if there is no reason to test it.  (I used a mask and gloves when I approached it and bagged it.)

Thanks -

Alicia