On 12 October Barb Borelli found and photographed a Limpkin along the Chemung
River in Elmira and reported it to eBird. This morning (22 October) Martin Cain
refound & photographed it, also along the edge of the river. This afternoon Ann
Mitchell & I went to look for it, and we were close by, as were Adam Farid &
Mike Gullo, when Jeremy Collison discovered the Limpkin a hundred yards from
the river standing and resting in the dead-leaf-strewn floodplain forest
immediately southeast of Pirozzolo Park in an area which seemed to be
associated with a culvert below the corner of the levee. The bird was standing
almost under the Japanese Knotweed which covered the embankment above. We were
surprised when it walked toward us, coming within a few yards behind a narrow
screen of knotweed, then it turned and strolled toward the river, sometimes out
in the open, and rested again at the top of the riverbank for several minutes,
remaining there when we left at 4pm. During the 40 minutes we watched it, it
was silent and neither flew nor fed but seemed relaxed & healthy. Later
observers saw it catching worms in the leaf litter. If you seek this bird,
don’t just look at the edge of the river, look in the woods, too. Pirozzolo
Park is near the West Elmira fire station on Water Street.
This is the second NYS record for this species. The first record was just last
autumn along the Niagara River. That bird was captured just before the deadly
blizzard hit Buffalo, and I believe it was released in South Carolina.

- - Dave Nutter