Anytime during the day would work, I think. It can take awhile to find, and
when you do see it, you’re going to want to spend some time watching, so it’s
good to start early. The only advantage to starting late is that someone else
may find it first, and you may find out from them.

Some folks think it may roost by the river due south of the corner of the
levee. I don’t know if anyone has figured out its schedule of resting, feeding,
bathing, or preening. I suspect that the times it just stands still are its
method of assessing possible danger from people.

So, look for other birders & check their behavior, check all lawns as you head
to the river, look along the river edge everywhere you can within a block of
the little concrete boat ramp (waterproof boots helpful), watch carefully ahead
on trails, scrutinize the forest floor in Japanese Knotweed or clearings. Check
eBird and other text alert systems. I have not seen any reports yet today. If
there is an Elmira alert system, I don’t know it. I suspect you will have
company looking on a weekend like today.

Just at I have not seen reports of it flying, I have not seen reports of it
calling. Limpkins give a raucous scream which that rises then falls in pitch.
It has been used as a jungle sound effect for Tarzan movies and was the voice
of Harry Potter’s Hippogriff. If you hear that, resist the urge to flee, but
move slowly toward it.

Good luck!

- - Dave Nutter