Bird names for birds. Cool concept. The article includes many good reasons. We
will have to learn some new names for old birds. I look forward to this.

In many cases, the person who first described a species for science decided to
name it after someone who had nothing to do with the bird, making the
people-name even more irrelevant to the bird.

I hope one of the benefits of the new names will be that they relate better to
the birds’ appearance, behavior, or habitat. This will make the species and
their field marks easier to learn and remember, which I think will be more
welcoming to all new birders as well as to any birders traveling to unfamiliar
areas. I struggle with many western North American species named for people.

Also, Kenn Kaufmann’s story is classic.

- - Dave Nutter

Begin forwarded message:

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")