Dear Elisabetta,
Which program did you use for refinement?
If you used REFMAC, the atomic scattering factors are internally coded for
copper radiation, and the resulting electron density map after refinement
may be much lower for halide atoms than it should be!
It is a known REFMAC issue.
Tadeusz

"Sabini, Elisabetta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "CCP4 bulletin board" <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
29-Nov-2007 21:40
Please respond to "Sabini, Elisabetta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
cc

Subject
[ccp4bb] "Finding Chlorine" =)

Dear all,

I am refining two structures which have in the active site a ligand
containing a covalent bond between a carbon and a chlorine atom.

I collected the data at APS, SERCAT ID-22.

Because of radiation damage I tried different occupancy values for the
chlorine atom and structure number #1 is best with occupancy 0.2 while
structure #2 seems to be happy with occupancy 0 (occupancy for the rest of
the ligand is 1).

I checked by mass spec if my compound has the molecular weight expected
with a chlorine atom and it does, so the original compound was correct.

Can radiation damage make the chlorine completely disappear?

Do the different occupancy values I get depend also on the resolution?
In fact:

Structure # 1 (OCC=0.2) refined to 1.8A (Rfact/Rfree=20/25%)
Structure # 2 (OCC=0.0) refined to 2.5A (Rfact/Rfree=23/33%)

When I make the figures for publication, do I draw the ligand with or
without chlorine?

Thanks,

Eli =)

--