them today before I post my mail, but unable to access them. For some reason, wiki is forbiddon here. I really coouldnot find the best answer and have discussed

i am shocked. i just checked with one of my 25 chinese students here and indeed even universities in china do not have access to a basic site such as wikipedia. the "some reason" of course being that china is still a totalitarian communist state where the government deems it necessary to control what information its citizens can and cannot access. in this year of the olympics shouldn't the scientific community put some pressure on the chinese government, e.g. through an appeal in nature or science? ccp4 care to take the initiative?

i'm supposed to teach in a course in beijing this spring but if my innocent web-based practicals cannot be used to their full extent i'm not so sure anymore

--gerard

(note to self: don't pack the 'free tibet' t-shirt for the beijing trip!)

                        Gerard J.  Kleywegt
    [Research Fellow of the Royal  Swedish Academy of Sciences]
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology  University of Uppsala
                Biomedical Centre  Box 596
                SE-751 24 Uppsala  SWEDEN

    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
   to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.