Hello John,

No, they're not.  Crystals were obtained  at pH8.0, 200mM NaCl;  10%
PEG4000.  Calorimetric experiments were done at pH7.4, 150mM KCl.  We found
the interaction to be driven mainly by hydrophobic contacts (mutants of
polar/charged residues have no significant effect on the affinity). I'd only
expect a minor effect of pH in this case, but this would have to be
tested.   So yes, as I've mentioned before, both crystal contacts and
crystallization conditions could together reduce the affinity and break the
100nM Kd interaction.

The effect of pH on the affinity could be tested directly in an ITC
experiment - the effect of 10% PEG4000 would be harder to assess due to
insolubility (crystallizability) of the protein...

Cheers

Filip Van Petegem

--
Filip Van Petegem, PhD