Tabled stability constants are e.g. in 'NIST Critically Selected Stability Constants of Metal Complexes' an electronic database. I am sure you find also tables in the library. Another source is http://old.iupac.org/publications/pac/1997/pdf/6907x1549.pdf; here enthalpies are given for several at different ionic strength etc. but not for imidazol with Mg2+ or Ca2+.

Jacob Keller wrote:
Could those who responded with numbers for affinities of imidazole for metal ions please divulge their sources? It is not that I doubt their veracities, but it would be a nice reference to have on hand.

For those wondering about why I was asking about imidazole's affinity for metal ions, I was wondering whether the presence of imidazole would affect a metal-ion-dependent reaction. With, for example, 200 mM imidazole and 10 mM Ca++ or Mg++, what would be the amount of free metal? This can of course be calculated from imidazole's binding constant for these ions, which is another reason I ask for the sources of the numbers quoted in a couple of the responses.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses so far,

Jacob Keller

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program