Hello,

the guess about ripples is most likely correct. Just do this simple experiment: place one iodine in a middle of a cubic box and compute F-calc map. You will see aaaamazing picture! At least I enjoyed. You will see a number of concentric shells of density around iodine, positive and negative. Since in this numerical experiment there is no any radiation damage, anomalous signals, local chemical environment and things like that, so it is obvious that the effect can be attributed to the Fourier series truncation ripples.

More nice pictures on this subject:

1) CCP4 Newsletter
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/newsletters/newsletter42/content.html
On the Fourier series truncation peaks at subatomic resolution
Anne Bochow, Alexandre Urzhumtsev

2) Page 43: http://phenix-online.org/presentations/neutron_japan_2009/phenix_japan_part1.pdf

3) Central Ligand in the FeMo-Cofactor Nitrogenase MoFe-Protein at 1.16 Å Resolution: A.
Oliver Einsle, et al. Science, 1696 (2002) 297

4) Page 267 Figure 4:
On the possibility of the observation of valence electron density for individual bonds in proteins in conventional difference maps
P. V. Afonine, V. Y. Lunin, N. Muzet and A. Urzhumtsev
Acta Cryst. (2004). D60, 260-274

Pavel.