The question of what textbook to use is very much context sensitive, that
is,
it depends on what the reader wants and needs to know. Unfortunately, this
question us easy to answer with hindsight, but not so obvious to the person
looking for answers.

Having said that, I declare a conflict of interest as one of the mentioned
textbook
authors. The conflict, however, is modest because I am not aware of anyone
making a
fortune on crystallography textbooks.

I think it is reasonable to delineate the textbook market by what the reader
ultimately wants to accomplish. What a structural biologist should know,
versus
what is expert knowledge, has been a contentious issue for quite some years.
A lot of people have thought hard about this, and the education committees
of the
American Crystallographic Association (ACA)  and USNC/Cr organized a
crystallography
education summit, whose outcome is the consensus policy statement on
crystallography
education and training  available from here:

http://www.ruppweb.org/garland/study_group.htm

I privately think that as a first contact for the user of structure models,
the
Rhodes book is a great start. If you are a tad more interested in how it
works,
Jenny Glusker's old text in its revised form is still one of my favorites,
and the
Blow book as well Alex's compilation are quite useful. Drenth helps once you
are already
engaged in the business, and have some idea what it is about. The IUCr
compilation is an
extremely useful hard core resource if you are interested in the nuz and
bolz of
crystallography in general. Not to forget the excellent multi-author volumes
of
Methods of Enzymology as an in-depth resource.

Having said that, the reason why I decided to add another tome (BMC) to the
already
prolific writings in protein crystallography is that I felt that none of the

above provided a consistent and modern picture of crystallography in
the probabilistic framework it actually operates in. This is - in a
crystallographic time frame - ancient history; a first resource being the
1952 work
of Crick and Blow, and it continues via French and Wilson to Bricogne and
on.

So, as a concluding statement, I think there is more to biomolecular
crystallography
that just nuz and bolz, and it touches many very fundamental challenges and
uncertainties, ultimately forcing my emphasis on probabilistic approaches
and the resulting digressions in the subversive sidebars.

Consequentially, if you like the Schaum series and Kaplan SAT rest prep
books, don't waste
your money on my book. Instead, get one of the (nearly as expensive by
weight and
volume) monographs mentioned above, they are in fact good and will lead you
in the
right direction.

If you like Neal Stevenson, Rev. Bayes, and a touch of randomness, and you
understand
that the probability of receiving the Nobel Price approaches practically
zero once you
have been infected by the spirit of BMC, go for it ;-)

BR