Dear Roger,

We have had success using the non-detergent sulphobetaines (NDSBs) to improve
solubility of protein samples. For a couple of projects they have proved
crucial for concentrating the protein to a reasonable level for crystallization
(e.g. PMID: 18765907). Be careful since there is a big variation in price
dependent on which particular one you use. Use them at ~200-300 mM and you may
even be able to get rid of the glycerol. You may have to incubate the protein
with the NDSBs overnight before concentration to get the full effect.

Good luck
Tom Walter