On 26 Sep 2010, at 9:00 AM, Seema Nath wrote:

> I'm working with a protein which crystallizes in a mixture of PEG6K with 0.2M
> AmSO4,my question is if there's any problem if I want to soak heavy metal
> derivatives in this crystallizing condition? Does AmSO4 interfere in
> heavy-metal soaking ? if yes, what's the reason?
> Thank you in advance.

There's a nice discussion of heavy atom chemistry and why ammonium ions can be
problematic in Greg Petsko's review from the 80's:

Methods Enzymol. 1985;114:147-56

The bottom line is that amines (and ammonium is an amine) can participate in
coordination chemistry for certain metals. If memory serves some of this is
also covered in Blundell and Johnson (? not sure about that, I don't have my
copy at hand).

Good luck,

Pat
Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497