Dear Ronnie,
we are working with weak diffracting crystals. Many tests (and taking into account Marcus Muellers results) showed that 0.3-0.5 of XDS mosaicity, (very) low dose, and high redundancy give the best results. Our crystals diffract between 7 and 4 A. At low dose I do not check diffraction really by eye. I collect 200 images (fine slicing), process and check XDS statistics. (200 images is not much when the dataset comprises 9000-12000 images). Especially for anomalous data this strategy was pivotal. We did also comparisons between CCD and PILATUS. We used one long crystal and collected on end end a MAD dataset using a CCD and afterwards at the other end a MAD dataset on PILATUS, same dose per degree. Results were absolutely clear that the fine slicing give much better results.
Best,
Guenter
Dear Tassos,

I'm interested in your third point. Do you have any explanation for why 0.5-1 degrees oscillation gave better data? Purely due to the fact that the crystals survived longer and thus yielded higher redundancy data, or also other parameters? Also do anyone know where the threshold lies for when /not/ to use fine phi slicing on the PILATUS? ie, at what level of diffraction would one need to increase the exposure (and oscillation in order to still get redundant data)?

We'll be in a similar position in the coming weeks with data collection using PILATUS detectors, and would like to maximize the potential data quality from our weak diffracting crystals. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ronnie Berntsson