How low? Back in the old days when we mounted xtals in capillaries, you could
sometimes see significant reduction in radiation damage by data collection
temperature from room temp to ca. 0 deg C (zero is generally safe, since the
PEGS/salts in your mother liquor will depress the freezing point). In this
case, it's critical that you bathe the entire capillary in a stream of cool
air; if you just aim the cold stream at the part of the capillary containing
the crystal, you'll get all sorts of nasty temperature gradients, leading to
distillation of components from the mother liquor and slow painful death for
the crystal (OK, sometimes not so slow). We used to fashion cylinders that
enclosed the capillary on all sides and extended the entire length of the
capillary, and blew the cool air through these cylinders (cheap/easy way to do
this was to cut the end off a 15 ml conical tube, then cut two windows at the
position of the crystal (opposite one another, 180 deg apart), and tape mylar
over the windows. This way you have an approximately air-tight cylinder, but
don't put a lot of scattering material in the beam.

I seem to have heard reports of people flash-cooling in capillaries, but I'm
not sure where to find details.

Pat

On 17 Feb 2011, at 12:03 PM, R Conners, Biochemistry wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We are working on a Category 3 protein which must be contained so we have our
> crystals mounted in a loop and then covered with a plastic Mitegen cover
> which is glued in place. We're currently collecting at room temperature, but
> wondered if anyone has any experience of using a contained system at low
> temperatures? Any attempts I've had so far at freezing through either the
> plastic or a glass capillary have resulted in formation of ice on the surface
> so it is not even possible to see the crystal to centre it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Becky

> Dr Becky Conners
> School of Biochemistry
> University of Bristol, UK
>
> http://www.bris.ac.uk/biochemistry/brady
> r.conn...@bristol.ac.uk
> 0117 3312149

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497