From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Nathaniel
Clark
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:38 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] titering baculovirus ?

We don't have a problem getting them to stick to the plates in serum-free
media, or in 5% FBS media.  The more challenging part is getting the plating
density just right, too low and the plaques are too big, to high and they are
too small.  Or if the cells dry out, or if your agarose overlay is too hot,
etc...

However, we have actually stopped titering all together.  We find early stocks
(from co-transfection, or plaque purification) are 'low', but after ~2 rounds
of amplification in adherent culture of the 'low'
titer stock(using a large volume of low-titer virus in a t25 flask), we can add
~0.5 ml to a 30-100 ml shake flask of Sf9's (serum free
media) and get a high titer stock( ie. >10^8 pfu/ml).  From there we amplify
with ~ 10 mls of virus in a 1 L shaker culture, and we have our large volume
high-titer stock.  Sometimes we will incubate the cells in pure virus stock in
a t25 flask for 1 hour, take the virus off, and add fresh media, as a way to
rescue low-titer stocks.

If you are just trying to titer (not plaque-purify), you can just take 10 fold
dilutions of your virus, and do several small scale infections
in 6 well plates, 10 ml shaker cultures, whatever you prefer.   At the
lowest virus concentration where you see a synchronous infection (judged by
protein expression levels, or cell-diameter if you have a cell counter, or by
viewing with a trained eye), you call that an MOI=1.  From there you know the
number of cells in the plate, and the volume of virus you added, so you can
calculate an effective titer.
Plaque assays are really difficult and slow, and if you are just trying to make
protein, an effective titer is fine, the absolute number isn't that helpful, Nat

Nat Clark
Graduate Student
Garman Lab
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Dept.
UMass Amherst