On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Adrian Goldman wrote:

> I would disagree about the disk issue. That's not the failure mode we have
> seen in the iMacs. Fwiw. Anyway, if it were to fail you could just attach an
> external disk and continue merrily along - macs will boot from external
> FireWire (and I assume thunderbolt?) disks.

Yes, but I treasure my desktop and USB/Firewire port space ;)

My point is that replacing anything (video card, logic board, display card,
drive) within an iMac is difficult.  If the OP (like me) plans on keeping your
computer for more than 5-7 years, then he/she might want to get something where
replacing the hardware is easy.

I still have several fully functional dual processor PowerPC G5 from 2004 that
work wonderfully for general desktop use. And it will still run most
(CCP4/Phenix/Coot) crystallographic software.

> We are putting money where my mouth is. Our last five purchases have been i7
> iMacs. It seems like quite a nice amount of oomph for the money.

Core i7? Then your macs are still quite young (i7's were introduced in 2010).

I'm talking a core 2 duo mac from 2007 (the iSight G5). Time will tell if the
drives in 2010 were any better than then drives from 2007. I doubt it though.

Francis E. Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder