We have an Avestin C5 that's about 10 yrs old, and pretty much everything that
Bert said is also true for us. The instrument works great for bacteria; it can
also break yeast, but the pressures required are at the upper limit of its
capabilities, so everything needs to be in tip-top condition. The instrument is
a little finicky--it needs to be cleaned carefully, and requires regular
lubrication and replacement of seals and general TLC--so it shouldn't be
considered low-maintenance. On the bright side, the folks at Avestin are very
good at talking you through maintenance procedures on the phone, and will also
visit to do maintenance. I like being able to pack the entire apparatus in ice,
so heating is not an issue.

We are able to do most maintenance ourselves, but we did need to invest in some
big old wrenches. And it helps if you have access to a bench vise. We went to
Sears and bought an enormous air compressor to supply high pressure air to the
homogenizer. The compressor is really loud but wasn't terribly expensive, and
it works quite well.

If I were shopping for a new homogenizer today, I'd definitely look at the
competitors, to see if they required less maintenance; but if not, I'd be happy
to go with another Avestin.

Pat

On 5 Aug 2012, at 3:37 PM, Van Den Berg, Bert wrote:

> My lab has had a C3 for almost 8 years now. It's very good for coli, not so
> good for yeast as 25-30 kpsi is in the extreme range of the instrument and
> you'll wear out seals etc pretty quickly. For those pressures you'll also
> need high pressure air. You'll also need to be fairly disciplined in
> cleaning, so its not great for sharing between different labs (we all knows
> how that goes...). Cleaning yourself is possible, but to open it you'll need
> a big wrench to get sufficient torque. But again, for Ecoli it's very good.
> We've also had good experiences with the avestin people coming in to do
> maintenance in terms of waiting time etc.
>
> Bert

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497