Dear all

This is mostly relevant for those of you in the UK, so I apologise for the off
tpopic nature of the email. However, I think this is an important issue for the
CCP4 community as a whole as well, since UK funding changes will affect how
CCP4 is funded and the continued support we all get.

As you may have heard, Science is Vital, the grassroots group that helped stave
off cuts to research funding in 2010
(http://scienceisvital.org.uk/science-is-vital-old/), has a new campaign asking
the UK government to modestly increase science funding in the next budget round
for 2015-16 (decisions about which will be announced in June).

There are strong rumours that another cash freeze is the most likely result,
which obviously would continue a trend of decline that's already starting to
bite.

We have launched a petition, which can be read and signed here:

http://scienceisvital.org.uk/2013/03/21/petition-increase-governmental-spend-on-rd-to-0-8-gdp/

We urge you to sign today. In the next few months, the Government will make key
decisions about how to dispense funds for the next few years, and together we
must remind them that science is vital for the UK.

Also, we are collecting data on the effects of the current cash freeze in a
survey in order to prepare a report that should prove useful for persuading the
Government:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1195150/Survey-on-effects-of-Science-Funding-Cash-Freeze

So, if you are or have been in the recent past a UK-based researcher, please
take the survey and let us know the effects you have experienced.

For both these initiatives, we’d also appreciate it if you could spread the
word to colleagues via departmental mailing lists, as well as family and
friends. Remember, you don’t have to be a scientist to think science is vital,
so you can ask everyone!

Thanks for your support.

Best wishes
Paula

Member of the Science is Vital Executive Committee

===================================

Dr Paula S. Salgado
Lecturer in Macromolecular Crystallography
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences
Faculty of Medical Sciences
3rd Floor Cookson Building
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK