On Thursday, April 11, 2013 01:53:16 pm David Schuller wrote:
> On 04/11/13 13:36, Ethan Merritt wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:22:59 am Antony Oliver wrote:
> >> Eugene - that's great. I too run a small suite of Macs (12) and was trying
> >> to find a practical way of updating all those machines remotely. The
> >> command line version of CCP4um will be very useful.
> > Another option for a set of machines in the same network is to install a
> > single
> > master copy of ccp4 on one machine exported to the others via NFS, and have
> > all the
> > machines run it from there.  Then you only need to update one copy.
> > Works fine for me.
> >
> >     Ethan
> >
> My method is to run the updater graphically on one machine, then spread
> it around with rsync. Although being able to run it on the command line
> would allow me to accomplish that from my own desk, without crossing
> campus to another building. Even with gigabit, running X remotely is
> rather slow and bothersome.

You may misunderstand - the executables live on a shared NFS directory
but there is no remote X connection involved.

Having said that, I routinely connect to the lab machines from home via ssh.
In that case the X connection is remote, but I find that the performance of
the ccp4i GUI is adequate even across the WAN.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg