As for Gerard's follow up, I remind him of the immortal wisdom of Jack Handey:

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words ? "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."

Being the misanthrope that I am, I would like to point out that it's also an anagram of "damn kin".

--Gerard

                           Gerard J. Kleywegt

      http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard   mailto:ger...@xray.bmc.uu.se
   The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
   to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
   Little known gastromathematical curiosity: let "z" be the
   radius and "a" the thickness of a pizza. Then the volume
            of that pizza is equal to pi*z*z*a !