From: Peat, Tom (CMSE, Parkville)
Sent: Thursday, 17 October 2013 1:59 PM
To: 'ccp4bb@jiscmail.ac.uk'
Subject: questions

Dear CCP4 community,

I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of you folks on two questions,
both of which have put me into the bad graces of a particular editor. The first
question seems trivial, but I will ask it anyway- where would you put the PDB
deposition code in a manuscript?  I may be old fashioned, but I have put it in
the footnotes just prior to the references (which also ends up being the
acknowledgments section in some journals), into Table 1 or in some more
chemistry oriented journals in the footnotes on the first page (often near the
author information).  I've been told that it obviously goes into the Materials
and Methods section (where I cannot ever remember seeing it, but my memory
seems to be fading with old age).  I find this a little strange as I consider
the final model to be a result and not a material used to produce data nor a
method.  But maybe people are now putting their results into the methods
section. So opinions on this question are welcome.

The second question is hopefully straight-forward.  I was also asked to put a
number in Table 1 which I am happy to do, but I don't understand how to get
this number.  I was asked to put the 'rotamer-quality score' from MolProbity
into the table.  I don't run MolProbity often, but the output I got from the
server doesn't have a 'rotamer-quality score' that I can find (see attachment).
 Is there some option that I am missing that gives this elusive factor?  I also
took a look at the Chen et al paper (Acta Cryst D, 2010) on MolProbity and it
mentions a rotamer-quality score for specific residues but doesn't refer to an
overall score (which is what I am assuming is needed for a table). I already
have the well known Ramachandran percentages (favourable, allowed /poor and
outliers) in the table, so the editor clearly wants something different. When I
took a guess by putting in the 'MolProbity score' I was basically called an
idiot that can't follow directions. Help on this front would be appreciated as
although I have been called worse things, it would be nice to eventually get
what is being referred to.

Thanks,  tom

Tom Peat
CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia