Dear Stefan,

The picture you give of your crystals is indeed quite messy.  The first thing I
would do is to sort all the information at hand and try to see what could be
going on. Based on the (limited) information you give, I have to following
comments:

1)      Autoindexing suggests a tetragonal space group. This suggest to me that
4 fold symmetry is probably present, which may be crystallographic,
non-crystallographic or due to twinning or some other packing defects. How do
the statistics look like if you process in say P4, are they somewhat worse, or
horrible? If they are only somewhat worse, you could try MR in a tetragonal
space group as well. Even if the solution is only to a rough approximation
correct, it could give you a feeling what might be going on.

2)      Some twinning statistics do not work in the presence of translational
symmetry like the 0.46 vector you have, so I would not trust these.

3)      With two dimers related by a pseudotranslation, you can only generate 2
fold symmetry, not 4 fold. Since the autoindexing suggests 4 fold symmetry,
this may point to twinning.

4)      It is not clear how you can build a pseudo-octameric oligomer with only
4 proteins. For me, octameric means that one would need 8 proteins.

5)      I think that your crystal may be twinned with a second twin domain 90°
rotated with respect to the solution you have right now. Since your data has
pseudo 4/mmm symmetry, all 7 possible twin laws may be approximately true and
your crystals have pseudo P4x2x2x symmetry. You could rotate your current
solution 90, 180 and 270°. If these solutions are non-overlapping e.g. due to
the 0.46 vector, you may have to correct for at least 4 fold twinning.

The best solution would be to grow crystals in a different space group.

Best regards,
Herman