Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Fulvio
Saccoccia
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 6. November 2013 16:58
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: [ccp4bb] uncertainites associated with intensities from twinned
crystals

Dear ccp4 users

a question about the recovering of true intensities from merohedral twinned
crystal. Providing alpha and the twin operator one should be able to recover
the intensities from the formulas:

I(h1) = (1-α)Iobs(h1)-αIobs(h2)/(1-2α)

I(h2) = -αIobs(h1)+(1+α)Iobs(h2)/(1-2α)

as stated in many papers and books*.

However I was wondering about the uncertainties associated to these
measurements, I mean: for all physical observable an uncertainty should be
given.

Hence, what is the uncertainty associated to a perfect merohedrally twinned
crystal (alpha=0.5)? It is clear that in this case we drop in a singular value
of the above formulas.

Please, let me know your hints or your concerns on the matter. Probably there
is something that it is not so clear to me.

Thanks in advance

Fulvio

ref. **(C. Giacovazzo, H. L. Monaco, G. Artioli, D. Viterbo, M. Milaneso, G.
Ferraris, G. Gilli, P. Gilli, G. Zanotti and M. Catti. Fundamentals of
Crystallography, 3rd edition. IUCr Texts on Crystallography No. 15, IUCr/Oxford
University Press, 2011; Chandra, N., Acharya, K. R., Moody, P. C. (1999). Acta
Cryst. D55. 1750-1758)

--

Fulvio Saccoccia, PhD

Dept. of Biochemical Sciences "A. Rossi Fanelli"

Sapienza University of Rome

Tel. +39 0649910556