Chris,

To change the axis ordering for e.g. changing which cell edge is the P21 B axis use an "hkl matrix" command. Probably can do this via the Macros during scaling but I distrust this and just edit scl.in by hand and run it as "scalepack < scl.in"
For k,l,h reindexing use "hkl matrix 0 1 0  0 0 1  1 0 0"
For l, h, k reindexing use "hkl matrix 0 0 1  1 0 0  0 1 0"

Systematic absences would be an anecdotal indicator that it is/isn't P212121. That would show strong systematic absences for (h,0,0), (0,k,0), (0,0,l) reflections. (Or reflexions if one prefers). While not impossible I would think it statistically unlikely to observe such absences if the data was really P1, P2 or P21. Going back to the images to eyeball the actual reflections on the display can be pretty illuminating.

I don't remember Scalepack giving much detail in postrefinement but paying attention to the positional chi^2 values during integration might give clues about how far from 90 those unit cell axes are wandering if you try integrating in different space groups. There's also a method (or was, last time I tried it) to change the way Scalepack postrefines unit cell dimensions (value per frame or value per crystal) which might also help. More hacking of scl.in might be required.

However I'm usually pretty happy if my R-free drops 12% at 2.0 Angstrom resolution when going from P21 to P1. I would look for legitimate deviations between previously identical monomers in the map and probably consider using NCS to reduce the random deviation between monomers that actually are identical by symmetry. You may have assigned the crystallographic 21 down the wrong unit cell axis in that P21 test case.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton