Jerome,

>> Does anyone know the best way to store crystallization
>> screening blocks that contain PEG 3350?

I would recommend storing them in a fridge or a clean coldroom (mold-free).
Lower temperature and low light does help.

>> Is it a good idea to freeze the PEG solutions
>> at -80°C and thaw them before use?

Good idea, if they were pre-aliquoted into useful volumes.  We do that
occasionally.   However, -20°C is just as good.

>> Would the freeze-thaw process considerably
>>  alter the PEG chain lengths?

No, the real issue is the generation of oxygen reactive species that cause
aldehyde and peroxide formation, which in turn can modify your protein.  It
also causes cross-linked polymer formation.  Also avoid metal ion contamination.

Like lipids, plain PEG solutions in water and most detergents with PEG head
groups (C12E8, octyl-POE, Brij, Triton, Tween, etc.) should be stored under
argon and at -20°C.  So, if you are tempted to use the 5-year old bottle of
Triton X-100 or old 50% stock of PEG on the bench top, caveat emptor.

Take a look at an old paper by Fran Jurnak (J. Cryst, Growth, 76, 577-582,
1986) for the trials and tribulations of working with PEG from different
manufacturers of PEG (as well as how the purify it if you really get worried).

Regards,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com