>From a practical point of view,  a solution for documenting grouped
occupancy refinement should at minimum allow

(a)     easy & automatic harvesting from the respective refinement log
files, and

(b)   equally easy extraction from the PDB/cif format to replicate the same
refinement

(c)    not mess up legacy code/format or use undocumented 'features'

How this is best implemented is probably not trivial (except the REMARK
kludge)

and needs the data base/integrity/validation experts.

Best, BR

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of dusan
turk
Sent: Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2014 05:32
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] correlated alternate confs -
validation?

Hello,

A solution exists also for PDB records:

As a consequence of a discussion with George which took place  years ago, I
have taken the liberty to extend the PDB record length of 80 characters  and
use additional characters to specify the group ID and their members list
number and provided an interface to manipulate them.  Thereby the PDB
limitations were extended to adopt the SHELX philosophy of treating combined
groups of any composition.

ATOM      1  N   GLY A   1     -31.334 -24.247  23.250  0.54 34.05      1A
N   1   0

ATOM   2477  N   GLY A   1     -29.650 -24.643  23.839  0.46 41.88      1B
N   1   1

The records with our the group extension are not members of groups with
partial occupancy. These two records shown are members of group ID 1, the
atom in the first record belongs to group ID 1 members list number 0 and the
second to group ID 1 and members list no 1.  (The members lists begin with
0.)

On Jul 24, 2014, at 1:02 AM, CCP4BB automatic digest system