On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:07:18 +0100, Pietro Roversi <pietro.rove...@bioch.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

Dear Enrico,

I wonder if trying different protein:precipitant ratio is also a valid strategy to crystallise very soluble proteins.

Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed and if so why!

Yes and No.

I you are using salts and your protein is still soluble when the salt is saturated. You have an excellent way of concentrating the protein. You will then need a co_precipitant, like dioxane, to push it over the
edge.

With PEG this is an option for refinement, but not for serious protein concentration. PEG has become the most often used precipipitant, is because it work by volume exclusion,
leaving the protein less space and effectively concentrating the protein.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2836(75)80107-0
In terms of being able to extract water from the drop it is less effective than
salts, glycerol ... etc.
So with PEG it will not work as you would think. What I do is to use booster solutions. In the boster solution you may have: 5M NaCl and if you want to change the pH because you know that acidification can increase precipitation, you also have acetic acid in your boost.
An example is given in:
Ciccone L., Tepshi L., Nencetti, S. & Stura E.A. (2015) Transthyretin complexes with curcumin and bromo-estradiol: Evaluation of solubilizing multicomponent mixtures New Biotech. 32:54–64
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nbt.2014.09.002
You can concentrate and crystallize a very soluble protein by starting with a low concentration high MW PEG and by sitting drop vapour diffusion you do several boosts untill you get a precipitate. When you get the precipitate, you do not know where you are in crystallization space! But you can do precipitate transfers to other drops. The speed at which the precipitate resolubilizes
allows you to work out approximately where you are.
Complicated, yes I agree, but it uses very very little protein.

Enrico.

Let [Prot]_0 and [ML]_0 be the initial concentrations of protein and mother liquor solutions, mixed in volumes V0_prot and V0_ML, respectively, to form the initial drop of volume (V0_prot+V0_ML)

In the following, let us assume that the vapour diffusion process proceeds based on chemical potential of the ML and let us talk of concentrations instead of chemical potentials.

The vapour diffusion process will stop when the concentration of ML in the drop is equal to the one it has in the mother liquor, so that the drop will shrink till its volume at equilibrium is V0_ML, i.e. the volume of ML that was used to make the drop initially.

The final concentration of protein is therefore:
[Prot]eq = ([Prot]0*V0_prot) / V0_ML

and the concentration factor [Prot]eq/[Prot]0 is:

[Prot]eq / [Prot]0 = V0_prot / V0_ML

which show that by increasing V0_prot / V0_ML one can concentrate the protein as much as one wants.

Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed and if so why!

Best regards

Pietro

Sent from my Desktop

Dr. Pietro Roversi
Oxford University Biochemistry Department - Glycobiology Division
South Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3QU England - UK
Tel. 0044 1865 275339