Dear Oarabile M. Kgosisejo,

if you add distant restraints between the metal and the oxygens, the side chains
should not be pulled into the centre.

I think that refmac5 recognises the LINK records in the PDB file, e.g. with the
syntax

LINK        ZN    ZN A2666                 SG  CYS A 102     1555   1555  2.41

I am not sure this holds true for phenix.refine. If not you need to define the
distance in the .eff file of your refinement, but I wouldn't know the syntax
without looking at the documentation at www.phenix-online.org.

Best,
Tim

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 06:17:59PM +0000, Kgosisejo, Oarabile wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am refining the structure of a metalloenzyme with 2 Mn, a cacodylate and 5
> residues coordinating the metal center (the active site) using 2.25 A data. I
> am able to place the residues in their electron density using Coot. However,
> after refinement using Phenix the metal-coordinating residues and the
> cacodylate molecule move out of their electron densities (they pull towards
> the metal center). Please see attached screenshot. The rest of the molecule
> is fine
>
> The edits and cif files used in refinement were created using  Phenix
> ReadySet. The refinement options checked in Phenix are XYZ coordinates, Real
> space, Individual B-factors and Occupancies. X-ray/ stereochemistry and
> X-ray/ADP weights are optimized.
>
> I am wondering if there is refinement strategy or anything that I can do to
> keep the residues in the electron density?
>
> Your suggestions are appreciated
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Oarabile M. Kgosisejo
> o.kgosis...@usask.ca