Dear Crystallographers,

I have had only a vague understanding of what specific things are happening
with shell electrons at anomalous edges. Specifically, for example, to what
energy of electron-transition does the x-ray k-edge correspond in terms of
orbitals, and is that transition energy actually equal to the energy of the
photon, suggesting that the photon is absorbed (or disappears?) in elevating
the electron? I don't think we say it is absorbed, so how does the energy come
back out, from the electron's falling back down, right? So then there's a new
photon created, or the same one comes back out? Where was it?

Further, I also have heard that the emerging anomalous/resonance photons are of
the same wavelength as the incident radiation, but usually there is something
lost in transitions (even non-fluorescence ones) I thought? Has it ever been
definitively shown that the anomalous photons are of the same energy as the
incident radiation?

In the case of L-edges, why are there three separate edges? Further, if the
resonance occurs when the energies are equal, why does resonance occur at
energies greater than the edge? I don't think this happens in other resonance
phenomena, or does it? If projects a middle-C-tone into a piano, do all of the
lower notes resonate as well, according to the Kramers-Kronig relation? I think
it may actually happen in the mammalian cochlea's travelling wave, but is it
completely general to resonance phenomena?

Just interested, and have wondered these things for a long time in the
background of my mind...

Jacob Keller

Jacob Pearson Keller, PhD
Looger Lab/HHMI Janelia Research Campus