From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Eleanor
Dodson
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:11 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Refmac5 twin refinement pushing Rfree surprisingly down

Twin refinement cannot be compared directly to untwinned - the R factors are
between different parameters - without twinning it is assumed you have an
amplitude obtained more or less from sqrt(I   But for a twinned data set that I
is actually [ I1 + twin_factor I2 ] so the amplitude is not really correct and
twinned refinement will give a much better estimate.

However you need to be careful that you have assigned the same FreeR flag to
reflection pair related by the twin law. The modern program in the CCP4 data
reduction pipeline looks after this pretty automatically - all possible
symmetry equivalents are assigned the same FreeR but older software did not do
this..

You can check it by looking at some twin equivalents - in SG P32 these could be
h k l and -h, -k, l or h k l and k h -l  or h k l and -k, -h, -l .

Ideally they all should have the same Free R flag..

Eleanor

PS - the acid test is:  Do the maps look better?

On 13 April 2017 at 19:52, Robbie Joosten