Regarding that paper, I would point out that cytosols generally contain 50-100
mM glutamate, so it makes sense that glutamate enhances solubility.

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Evans,
Nicola
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:54 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] BSA as additive

I haven't used BSA, but I did recently use 50mM L-glutamic acid for this exact
reason (and 5% glycerol in all buffers except the last one for crystallography)
after reading this paper and it made a big difference to my last protein prep:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15264823

For my final crystallography buffer I have tried with and without L-glutamic
acid (as I am trying to optimise micro-crystals and worried the L-glu would
make sample too soluble) but still waiting to see if I get any improvement.
Both have drops with micro-crystals already (after 2 days), the L-glutamic acid
sample has fewer, hoping some other drops will yield better crystals over time.

Hope that helps!

Nicola