Vincent,

You are on the right track.  Notice now that both maps at chi/kappa=180 have
strong peaks at the y-axis and a “mirror” plane perpendicular to this.    This
is what would be expected for P21, i.e., Y is b/b*.  Then depending on the
orthogonalization convention of MolRep, the a- and b-axes are in the X-Z plane.
 Now the two maps are consistent.  So going to an integration radius of 30 Å
has made a marked improvement in the SRF maps. What Herman has pointed out is
that you can (and should) explore different integration radii, but always being
bias towards choosing a MINIMUM radius that gives you a clear and unequivocal
signal.

> I'm puzzled by this radius of 30A as I read in the documentation that is
> corresponds to the approximate radius of the protein. My protein is about
> 130Ax40A in the closed form to 130Ax70A in the open form according to other
> structures available. Shouldn't I compute maps with a radius of 70A or more?
> I'm not posting here these results here as they look more "artsy".

Absolutely not!!!!!  Part of the problem is that almost no one looks at
Patterson maps now days.  To find NCS, you want to stay within the region of
Patterson vectors that contains the intermolecular vectors arising from within
a putative NCS system (say a tetramer), but also contains almost NO
intermolecular vectors between a tetramer and a neighboring tetramer (from
within the same or from a different ASU).  I have always followed the rule of
thumb to start with an integration radius of about 1/2 of the minimum molecular
dimension (~35 Å in your case, but I have used routinely 20-30 Å for many large
proteins).  As Herman rightly points out, lowering the integration radius does
lower the signal, but any noise/signal from cross-peaks can make the maps
almost impossible to interpret.

Both maps at chi/kappa=180 also have clear peaks in the X-Z plane that are 90
degrees apart.  What are their peak heights compared to the origin peak?  If
they are essentially 100%, you may have a P222 crystal system; if not, you may
have NCS that mimics P222 (all major peaks separated by 90 degrees).  The NCS
peaks I’ve seen are generally between 50-80% of the origin peak height.
Finally, the second map at at chi/kappa=180 shows a series of peaks that form a
"great circle" between the crystallographic b/b* axis and the second peak in
the X-Z plane.  These could be weak NCS two-folds.  How many NCS systems do you
suspect in the ASU?

Cheers and good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com