Hello All,

This is an off-topic question. I have some issues regarding Fluorescence
Polarization competitive displacement assay and would need some advice.

I have developed an in vitro fluorescence polarization based assay using a
N-terminus labelled FITC peptide. The peptide is 21 amino acids long and
the binding protein is 50 Kda in size. The Kd for interaction is 1 uM. I am
further running a competitive displacement assay using the exactly same
unlabelled peptide. Here, with increasing concentration of the unlabeled
peptide, the polarization signal first increases and then shows a sharp
decline. Attached is the raw data file for the above.

I believe that if the unlabelled peptide had been aggregating, the
polarization signal would increase but not drop. If the binding would have
been non-specific, then the unlabelled peptide should not displace at all,
but here I see an increase followed by a decrease in the signal. What does
this increase and sharp drop in polarization signify and how do I fix this?
Please help.

I have checked the polarization for titration of the unlabelled peptide
mixed with fixed conc. of FITC-peptide (no protein added). Here, the
polarization signals are the same for the entire range of unlabeled
peptide. I have also tried incubating the unlabelled peptide with the
protein (for ~15min) first followed by addition of FITC-peptide, but the
results are the same.

Thank you,
Megha