Hi Jonathan,

 Old buffer may have slow evaporation with some side reactions. The
concentration of each component may increase a little bit.  In this case,
 I would consider the condition as the origin for further optimization.
Each component may need to be considered separately.

For 150mM Tris pH 8.000,
The pH and concentration may  have a slight change (increase ?).  I will
try the concentration of 150mM, 155 mM and 160mM. For pH,  pH 8.1 and pH
8.2...

For KBr, the concentration may be 80, 85, 90mM or higher.

For 47.1% w/v PEG1K (Pretty high concentration),
As the result for ring-opening epoxide reaction, it is not very stable
anyway. The reaction always continued. Basic condition made the case even
worse. In this case, the Mn (MW) of PEG1K may not be that average anymore.
It is very possible that the polymer chain is elongated. Of course, the
concentration of PEG is increased too. In the meanwhile, the presence of
KBr may cause further chemical modification on the PEG chains.  You may try
PEG 95--1050 (Sigma P3515), PEG 1305-1595 (Sigma 202136), PEG3K or PEG
3350, etc.

Best,

Kevin

P.S. If you take a look from the top of your old solution in the tube,
what's the color? Slight Yellow? You can use a tube with dd water a
reference.

--
Kevin Jin

Sharing knowledge each other is always very joyful......

Website: http://www.jinkai.org/