I sent this on Friday to Gianluca but forgot to also send it to the bulletin
board, so I’m posting it now, as it relates to Eleanor’s response.

It would also be worthwhile to consider the possibility of out-of-register
errors in the sequence assignment for your model. I have seen cases at a
similar resolution limit and anisotropic that had high free-R values due to
this problem. A sequence assignment error in 10-15% of the the total scattering
mass can be the difference between free R-values of 38% versus 32%, for
example. With low resolution models, one frequently has one or two (or more) of
what I like to refer to as “disembodied helixes”—I.e., helixes that have both
N- and C- termini with insufficient electron density to connect them to the
rest of the protein. These are great candidates for out-of-register errors.

I find Buccaneer to be a great program for re-building an initial MR model and
correcting such errors. It won’t fix everything, especially if the local
electron density is poor, but it does a surprisingly good job with maps in the
2.8-3.6 Angstrom range. And if you’re reasonably sure of the sequence
assignment in the majority of the structure solution, you can fix the portion
that you think is correct and ask it to re-build the questionable part.

It’s my go-to method for these type of problematic structures,

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

On Oct 14, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Eleanor Dodson