Dear all,

   We are looking to fill postdoctoral positions in my lab.  See below.

Postdoctoral positions in the Barondeau lab at Texas A&M University Department
of Chemistry are available immediately for highly motivated, creative
individuals with a strong interest in biophysical and/or bioinorganic
chemistry. Our labs are located in the Interdisciplinary Life Sciences building
(http://vpr.tamu.edu/resources/ilsb), where we have access to state-of-the-art
facilities for structural biology, mass spectrometry, and enzymology.

Our group is focused on understanding metallocofactor assembly and the
functional tuning partnership between metallocofactors and their protein
environments.

Project 1.  Structure-function studies of the human Fe-S assembly complex. This
project combines recombinant DNA methods with enzymology, chemical biology, and
structural methods and is funded by the NIH (renewed in 2017). We recently
reported crystal and EM structures along with functional properties of the
mitochondrial cysteine desulfurase (NFS1-ISD11-ACP) complex
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28634302).
Highlights of our study:

  *   http://www.science.tamu.edu/news/story.php?story_ID=1812#.WUlPlmjyuUl
  *
https://f1000.com/prime/article?articleId=727738370&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ts
  *
https://www-ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/content/science/highlight/2017-09-30/structure-human-cysteine-desulfurase-complex

We report lock-and-key or anchoring interactions between the acyl-chain of ACP
and ISD11 (a member of the eukaryotic-specific LYRM protein superfamily) along
with a novel cysteine desulfurase architecture. This core cysteine desulfurase
complex also binds three additional proteins, including the Friedreich's ataxia
protein frataxin, to generate the fully functional Fe-S cluster assembly
complex. Our objectives are to elucidate structural properties for how these
additional proteins bind to the core complex and provide mechanistic details of
how allosteric protein interactions, lipid binding, and post-translational
modifications modulate Fe-S cluster biosynthesis.

Project 2. Fluorophore labeling and kinetic interrogation of Fe-S assembly
pathways. This project (funded by the NSF) combines chemical biology,
fluorescent plate reader and circular dichroism based assays and global fit
kinetic analysis to elucidate the function of proteins in bacterial Fe-S
assembly and transfer pathways. We have previously reported an intein-based
approach to fluorophore label Fe-S proteins with rhodamine and then use
fluorescence to monitor cluster content. This approach has the advantage of
only monitoring Fe-S clusters bound to the protein or protein complex that is
labeled with the fluorophore. For additional information see
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ja510998s and
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acschembio.6b00632. Our objectives are to
test the proposed roles of iron donor, activator/inhibitor, chaperone,
intermediate carrier and cluster conversion proteins as well as evaluate
kinetic vs thermodynamic control in transfer and regulatory pathways.

Contact Dr. David Barondeau (barond...@tamu.edu<mailto:barond...@tamu.edu>) for
additional details.
To apply for a position, please submit a brief description of research
interests, career goals, CV, and contact information for three references.

David P. Barondeau
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry
Texas A&M University