From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Anastassis
Perrakis [a.perra...@nki.nl]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:56 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Electron density in PDBe

Interesting structure:

a=b=c=α=β=γ=107 in P1
Estimated twinning fraction 0.439 for k,l,h and 0.439 for l,h,k

In other words R32? ;-)

The PDB-REDO map has some interesting features, one strand has bases density at
.0 sigma, the other not, see attched.

The NCS averaging they used is kind of interesting. It reads correct if I read
through, but if something is done wrong, I am guessing it might result in
erronous features.

As a side note, the refereeing in eLife is interesting. The reviewing editor is
Stephen Bell; an excellent scientist, but not a crystallographer. Referees
opted to stay anonymous - but one could speculate they are not
crystallogrpahers either, as they did not raise any crystallographic questions.
The validation summary, well, it could have raised some red flags … sorry, it
did raise red flags, or to be exact red bold boxes. Evidently, nobody looked at
them.

Have fun -

A.

[cid:B25D7E2E-FD64-40A6-9DBD-60DEF50D9249@home]
[cid:5B0AA6A0-834B-46C7-AE56-8C6DFFB2F62D@home]
A.

On 30 Nov 2017, at 19:01, Wim Burmeister