Estimating isomorphism by eyeballing the difference in unit cell lengths may
mask significant non-isomorphism that is present. Iodine is a large atom and it
is notoriously difficult to get an iodine derivative that is isomorphous to a
native protein.

Depending upon the chemistry of your mother liquor, it is very possible that
you no longer have a significant amount of I3C around, so not seeing a triangle
of iodines does not mean that your data is worthless.

Instead, I would try MR-SAD again with Phaser, and try on individual and merged
datasets. If you are merging datasets from multiple crystals, this might be
problematic if the level of heavy atom substitution is different between
crystals. You can also try as input the heavy atom solution from HySS or SHELX.
Try to limit the resolution of your heavy atom search to the resolution of
measurability for the anomalous signal.

Iodine soaks, especially quick soaks, might not be the best HA derivative in
your particular case. Try tantalum bromide, that cluster is less likely to
degrade and will give a stronger signal at lower resolution.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu