Dear Laurent,

sorry for getting into this discussion a bit late, but I was traveling.
Many good points have been raised in response to your question.  I'd like
to summarize and add to them.

1.  Your beamline scientist WILL know how to process the data, and if the
software she recommends is not what you're familiar with, she will also be
able to help you with your favorite software.  This should always be your
first port of call.

2.  HDF5 in itself doesn't pose problems to XDS.  If the HDF read library
Neggia that was mentioned in a few of the responses doesn't help XDS read
HDF5 files, let me and Kay Diederichs know.  We'll try to figure out the
problem.

3.  XDS pipelines (autoProc, xdsme, xdsgui, xds-app, etc) should be able to
process HDF5 data as long as they know where Neggia is located.

4.  HDF5 files written by the detector should all look the same (files
written when the detector was introduced looked slightly different).  Many
beamlines are now streaming the data off the detector and write the files
themselves.  Here, considerable variety in the metadata is possible.  We
are working on a validator for HDF5 metadata, but that's still work in
progress.

5.  Besides XDS, DIALS and HKL-2000 should process HDF5 files without
complaints.

6.  Conversion of HDF5 files into CBF is still required for processing with
iMosflm, but that's likely to change before too long.

7.  Our tool H5ToXds is technically not a converter but an extractor.  It
writes the images in headerless CBF, which is not a standard.  H5ToXds was
written with the singular purpose of helping XDS process HDF5 data by
presenting individual images as temporary CBFs upon request.  Since the
introduction of the plugin mechanism and Neggia, H5ToXds is obsolete.  If
you do need to create CBFs, eiger2cbf or hdf2mini-cbf should be used.  They
write miniCBF headers.  Best is to work with HDF5, though.

8.  The source code for eiger2cbf (https://github.com/biochem-fan/eiger2cbf)
doesn't just contain a CBF converter but also a plugin for XDS.  This
plugin does the same thing as Neggia but works even better under extreme
load (data from NSLS-II).

I'm happy to answer any questions that might remain.  Thanks to everyone
for answering.

All best.

Andreas

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 8:58 AM, maveyrau <laurent.maveyr...@ipbs.fr> wrote:

> Hi CCP4ers
>
> we recently collected many datasets on dectris detectors producing hd5
> files. I would like to use some auto processing tools to process them
> (xdsapp, xdsme…). As far as I can say, xdsapp or xdsme cannot process hd5
> natively. I tried to convert them to cbf format (eiger2cbf,
> hdf2mini-cbf,...), but then it seams that the header of the caf files are
> lacking some required informations…
>
> Any idea how to convert hd5 files to complete caf files ? Are there any
> plans for xdsapp to be able to work on hd5 files ?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Laurent
> Laurent Maveyraud         laurent.maveyraud AT ipbs DOT fr
> P I C T   ---  Plateforme Intégrée de Criblage de Toulouse
> Université  Paul  Sabatier /  CNRS  /  I.P.B.S.  UMR  5089
> Département     Biologie    Structurale   et   Biophysique
> http://cribligand.ipbs.fr               http://www.ipbs.fr
> 205 route de Narbonne          31077 TOULOUSE Cedex FRANCE
> Tél: +33 (0)561 175 435           Mob.: +33 (0)646 042 111

<https://www.dectris.com>
Andreas Förster, Ph.D.
Application Scientist Crystallography, Scientific Sales
Phone: +41 56 500 21 00 | Direct: +41 56 500 21 76 | Email:
andreas.foers...@dectris.com
DECTRIS Ltd. | Taefernweg 1 | 5405 Baden-Daettwil | Switzerland |
www.dectris.com

[image: LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
 [image: facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News>

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the
named
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the
message.
Any unauthorized use of the information contained in this message is
prohibited.