From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Whitley, Matthew
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:16 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Off topic: 'Difficult' Datasets for Processing Practice

Dear colleagues,

For teaching purposes, I am looking for a small number (< 5) of macromolecular
diffraction datasets (raw images) that might be considered 'difficult' for a
beginning crystallography student to process.  By 'difficult' I generally mean
not able to be processed automatically by a common processing package (XDS,
Mosflm, DIALS, etc) using default settings, i.e., no black box "click and done"
processing. The datasets I am looking for would have some stumbling block such
as incorrect experimental parameters recorded in the image headers, multiple
lattices that cause indexing to fail, datasets for which determining the
correct space group is tricky, datasets for experiments in which the crystal
slipped or moved in the beam, or anything else you can think of.  The idea is
for these beginning students to examine several datasets that highlight various
phenomena that can lead one astray during processing.

A good candidate dataset would also ideally comprise a modest number of images
so as to keep integration time to a minimum.  Factors that are mostly
irrelevant for my purpose: resolution (as long as better than
~3.5 Å), source (home vs synchrotron), presence/absence of anomalous
scattering,  presence/absence of ligands, monomeric vs oligomeric structures,
etc.  Also, to be clear, I am not looking for datasets that have so many
pathologies that they would require many long hours of work for an expert to
process correctly.

I have checked public repositories such as proteindiffraction.org and SBGrid
databank, but all of the datasets I acquired from these sources process
satisfactorily with little effort, and in any event I know of no way to search
for 'challenging' datasets.  (I also wonder whether anybody is in the habit of
depositing, shall we say, less-than-pristine images to public repositories?)

If you know of such a dataset that is already publicly available, or if you
have such a dataset that you are willing to share for solely educational
purposes, I would appreciate hearing from you, either on- or off-list.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Matthew

--
Matthew J. Whitley, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology University of Pittsburgh School