*Deadline Sunday 20 January 2019*.

The theme for the MRC IMPaCT programme is complex disease.  This project
studies membrane protein complexes relevant to fibrosis, and funding is for
3.5 years. It will be based within LISCB (Leicester Institute for
Structural & Chemical Biology), and is a partnership with NIHR Leicester
BRC-Respiratory, and the Membrane Protein Lab at Diamond/Harwell.
Prospective applicants are encouraged contact *Bibek Gooptu*

/Andrew Quigley to discuss and can access the application form via this
link (one among various listed projects):

https://more.bham.ac.uk/mrc-impact/phd-opportunities/
Converting insult into injury: Cellular and structural biology studies of a
macromolecular complex that links inflammation with scarring in fibrotic
disease

Supervisors: Bibek Gooptu (UoL) and and Andrew Quigley (Diamond)

45% of deaths in the developed world arise as a result of fibrosis –
replacement of normal tissue with scar. Fibrosis is a basic response to
severe or sustained insult. If confined, fibrosis can limit further tissue
damage, but when widespread it leads to organ failure, cancer risk, and
death. We study how different insults cause fibrosis, focusing on lung and
liver disease. We have recently identified a molecular complex that
represents a junction between acute inflammation and chronic scarring
pathways, and may be an important target for future drug therapies. This
project will use state-of-the-art cellular and structural biology
approaches to understand the molecular details of how the complex
assembles, works, and may be targeted by drugs. It will be studied in the
context of intracellular (glycoprotein misfolding) and extracellular
(bacterial molecule) insults. The work is excitingly cross-disciplinary
(membrane protein crystallography, cryo-EM, cell biology, and integration
within clinical/translational studies). It is also cross-institutional
(Leicester Institute of Structural and Chemical Biology, NIHR Leicester
BRC, Research Complex at Harwell, Diamond Light Source). The supervisors
span these institutions and areas of expertise, from clinical to atomic
resolution studies, and can offer outstanding training and support.

Posted on behalf of *Bibek Gooptu **Professor of Respiratory Biology, LISCB
and NIHR BRC-Respiratory, University of Leicester*

* Consultant in Respiratory Medicine, Glenfield Hospital*

*Please do not reply to me, I'm not very good at looking after this account
-Peter*