> I’ve been told that the Rfree factor in the last shell are too high.

that's rubbish. You can not judge the absolute value without looking at the
data and the model.
If you have a certain amount of disorder, smearing, freezing effects, ice
rings, and/or diffuse scatter, your Rfree will be higher than average. And it
may be impossible to model this.
If you have very clean data, your Rfree will be lower than average.

Of course, it may be possible to improve the model, but if you have done
everything you can to improve it, and perhaps enlisted the advice of an
experienced macromolecular crystallographer and can just not seem to improve it
further, it is probably not improvable.
You should also table the CC1/2 overall and for the highest resolution shell to
make sure the data there is not too noisy.

If the model is as good as you can get it for the data you have, the only
improvement you could make is collect better data.

Mark J van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC
calle Darwin 3
E-28049 Madrid, Spain
tel. (+34) 91 585 4616
http://wwwuser.cnb.csic.es/~mjvanraaij
Section Editor of Acta Crystallographica F, Structural Biology Communications
http://journals.iucr.org/f/