Hi Nikolaus

I completely agree with Claude's comments.  Microseeding is the first thing
to try.  You would like to find conditions where you *don't *get crystals
without seeding, but you *do *get crystals with seeding.  Then, just by
diluting the seed stock, you can control nucleation.  Look at D'Arcy and
Obmolova's papers, links below (second time!).

I also agree that crystallization in agarose can work well - if seeding
doesn't solve your problem.

The only person that I know who tried containerless crystallization ended
up with more crystals rather than fewer.

Actually your case is not very unusual - when you scale up you tend to
get *more
*crystals.  The reason is that the surface-area-to-volume ratio is greater
for smaller drops.  This means that you lose a greater proportion of the
protein on the plastic or glass surface of your plate, and also on the
air-drop interface.  Therefore you should dilute the protein and/or the
precipitant when you scale up.

Good luck, Patrick

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S2053230X14015507
https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?nj5193

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Claude Sauter <c.sau...@ibmc-cnrs.unistra.fr>
wrote:

> Le 09/09/2019 à 17:22, Nikolas a écrit :
>
> Dear crystalgrowers,
>
> I am currently working with a protein that appeared to be friendly but
> turned out it was not the case.
> I found myself to face -in the scale up- the opposite of the usual problem
> of nucleation (I really love how this topic finds new ways to make fun of
> me). In 24-well plates, hanging-drop, for the same condition but in
> different drops I found few big but intergrown crystals and/or a full with
> microcrystals. Sometimes also in the same well, when having more drops.
> I already decreased the concentration to less than 4mg/mL, made small
> adjustments in the optimizations - both with apo and ligand samples, used
> Al's oil.
>
> I have read about the "containerless crystallization" but since I cannot
> obtain the sample myself I would like to know if there are any experiences
> and/or if there are suggestions for solving this problem.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Nikolas

> Dear Nikolas,
>
> since you have some crystal stock, I would definitely try seeding to
> better control nucleation events in your drops. Then, instead of using the
> containerless approach which requires two types of oils to prepare floating
> drops, I suggest the crystallization in agarose gel. Easy to perform, it
> favors the 3D growth of well separated crystals in ideal convection-less
> conditions. In addition, the gel provides a physical protection of your
> crystals during handling, mounting and cryocooling. For more details, see
> "Crystal
> growth of proteins, nucleic acids, and viruses in gels. Lorber et al. Prog.
> Biophys. Mol. Biol. (2009), 101: 13-25."
>
> Happy crystallization!
>
> Claude
>
> --
> Dr Claude Sauter
> Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire (IBMC-ARN-CNRS)
> Biologie des ARNt et pathogénicité      tel +33 (0)388 417 102
> 2 allée Conrad Roentgen                 fax +33 (0)388 602 218
> F-67084 Strasbourg - France      http://cj.sauter.free.fr/xtal

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36