The molecular weight of the Hope Diamond is about 5.5e24 Daltons, and I bet it diffracts to better than 1.0 A.

For every rule there are exceptions, and for every distribution there are "outliers".  Maybe a more informative number would be obtained after discarding the best 1-5% and see what is "best" after that?  This is sometimes called "histogram equalization", and it is a very helpful filter when viewing diffraction images.

The highest resolution x-ray spot from crambin has never been measured.  The last heroic attempt to push the recorded resolution of crambin got to 0.45 A, but only because of detector geometry limitations.  This is typical of "small molecule" data collection, where ultimately the Ewald sphere diameter is the only thing that limits resolution.

Another way to look at it is the number of significant Fourier terms in the map. By that metric I believe rubisco is still the champion of "information content" in the PDB.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist