Dear Dale,

A warm thank you for pointing out what I had overseen.

And a big thanks to all the others who commented so far,

cheers,
Gerlind

On 16/02/2021 21:19, Dale Tronrud wrote:

On 2/16/2021 11:47 AM, Gerlind Sulzenbacher wrote:
Dear all,

I wonder whether any of you have ever encountered such strange crystals.

In the images you can download via the link below, crystal1 looks hollow, crystal2 looks like a cubic crystal embedded within a hexagonal arragement.

I don't know the cause of the overall appearance that your cubic crystals are embedded within larger cubic objects.  I do know that the projection of a cube, down its three-fold axis, to a plane will create a hexagon.  I think that is the case in your second photo.  The six-fold symmetry is actually the result of a special view of the same cubes you are seeing elsewhere.

Dale Tronrud

https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=71d70da4-5ea2-4cf3-ae5f-5d89545574ce

May be all this is just an optical Fata Morgana.

We are waiting for our next synchrotron beam time to see whether, and what kind of diffraction they could provide.

In the meanwhile, I leave you with the beauty and may be somebody want's to comment.

with best wishes,

Gerlind

--
Gerlind Sulzenbacher
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques