Well I'll be...

Kay Diederichs pointed out to me off-list that the k+1 expectation and variance from observing k photons is in "Bayesian Reasoning in Data Analysis: A Critical Introduction" by Giulio D. Agostini. Granted, that is with a uniform prior, which I take as the Bayesean equivalent of "I have no idea".

So, if I'm looking to integrate a 10 x 10 patch of pixels on a weak detector image, and I find that area has zero counts, what variance shall I put on that observation?  Is it:

a) zero
b) 1.0
c) 100

Wish I could say there are no wrong answers, but I think at least two of those are incorrect,

-James Holton
MAD Scientist