Thank you very much for this Kay!

So, to summarize, you are saying the answer to my question "what is the expectation and variance if I observe a 10x10 patch of pixels with zero counts?" is:
Iobs = 0.01
sigIobs = 0.01     (defining sigIobs = sqrt(variance(Iobs)))

And for the one-pixel case:
Iobs = 1
sigIobs = 1

but in both cases the distribution is NOT Gaussian, but rather exponential. And that means adding variances may not be the way to propagate error.

Is that right?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist