Dear all,

That’s a very nice idea to have an app to combat misinformation that can
undermine the integrity of science and foster mistrust of scientific
inquiry.  But to launch such an app raises the obvious question:

Who is to be the arbiter of what is true and what is “misinformation”?

The way to uphold the integrity of science is with a free exchange of
ideas, not an app or document that decides which publication or which
interpretation of the data is real science and which is misinformation.

Thanks go to Bryan Lepore for pointing out that the work of Herbert Marcuse
(a strong advocate of a brand of Marxism once popular in Germany) led to
much violence in the USA.  Violent revolutions are how a great deal of
science has been lost during the last several thousand years of human
history, which is why we’re first determining atomic and near-atomic
resolution structures in the 20th and 21st centuries, not eons ago.

So, my humble request:  Can we stick to crystallography and allied fields
of structure determination on this e-mail list, and not digress into
divisive politics, please?

Respectfully submitted,

Daniel

________