Thank you for spearheading this, Mark,

But, I don't think you are going far enough. It has already been expressed by several on this thread that a 5C change is insufficient correction for many situations.  I propose a much more productive change of lowering "room temperature" to 4 Kelvin.  This would rapidly lead to Nobel Prize winning discoveries, such as room-temperature superconductors.  I think, in that light, the minor inconvenience of being more specific about temperature in our papers is well worth it.

And, as an aside, I hope you don't mind me pointing out that energy doesn't always have to come from burning carbon. Carbon doesn't even have the highest energy density.  You can see from this table:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density_Extended_Reference_Table
that other fuels are much more effective.

HTH,

-James Holton
MAD Scientist